Monday, December 16, 2013

Christmas Balance

It's Friday afternoon, 3 p.m.

I find myself sitting in my office, taking the deepest of breaths, as I may (knock on wood) be caught up with my customers' demands for the week.

It's been one of those weeks where the feelings of disappointment, exhaustion and downright defeat seem to be overtaking my mood on this chilly Friday afternoon.

'Tis the life of a woman in sales, I suppose.

Not sure why, but I glance at my calendar (as I've done a million times in the past couple of days) and for some reason panic overtakes me; today is December 13th. 

There are only 12 days until Christmas.

I have yet to put up my adorable little Christmas Tree at my adorable little house.

Nor have I put up any sort of Christmas glitter, tinsel or lights.

I have yet to listen to my favorite Christmas CD of all time (Michael Buble Christmas, for you curious minds) on repeat, singing at the top of my lungs.

I also have yet to bake anything.

Christmas is happening right now, and I am failing to participate in the party.

I am missing the best season of all seasons because I am running around in a daze trying to 'get it all done' and 'show up where I need to show up.'

What the heck happened to my balance?

When did I become a person who even got stressed out?

Where did my free spirit go?

How did I become such a Scrooge?

After my three minute straight up panic attack, reality starts to set in.

I'm probably not going to put up my adorable little Christmas Tree in my adorable little house this year.

I'm also probably not going to drag any Chrismas glitter, tinsel or lights out of my closet to decorate with either.

I might bake, but then I'll end up eating it. So, I probably won't do much baking, if any.

Because it all just sounds so exhausting.

And if I don't 'do it all' this year it will be OK.

This Christmas, I want to focus a little more on the real reason for the season: the birth of our Savior, and a little less on the 'hussle and bussle' that seems to come with it.

Maybe without all noise of the 'Christmas clutter' surrounding me this year, I can relish in the pure awesomeness of my family a little more, and worry about my cookies being stale a little less.

I hope you find your balance this Christmas, friends, and remember the real reason for this blessed season!

No comments:

Post a Comment