Wednesday, June 4, 2014

How To Burn 8,125 Calories In 5 Days

Remember that goal I had last week to burn at least 7,000 calories?

P.S. 7,000 calories = 2 pounds. 2 pounds is what I always strive to lose each week. I promise there is a method behind my madness!

And remember how I was an idiot and took not only Sunday but Monday off meaning that I had to accomplish this in 5 days?

Well I nailed it.

And by nailed it I mean I far surpassed my goal.

Curious how I did it?

Let me tell you what my week of workouts last week looked like!

Sunday: Rest.

Monday: Rest.

Tuesday: 5 am leg workout with my trainer, then 40 minutes on the step mill and 20 minutes on the elliptical. (1480 calories ... The step mill you guys, I'm not kidding when I say I'm glad I don't really know people that well at my gym. Because that thing is covered in my sweat when I'm done and I probably look like something terrifying when I get off that thing. WHEW!)

Wednesday: 6 am spinning class at my gym. Then after work I went back to the gym for a back and triceps workout followed by an hour of kickboxing. (Spinning class: 720 calories. Lifting and kickboxing: 1250 calories. I love punching and kicking the crap out of a bag!!!)

Thursday: 5 am shoulder workout with my trainer, then 30 minutes on the step mill. After work I went back to the gym for kickboxing class. (AM workout: 810 calories. PM workout: 635.)

Friday: 5:30 am bootcamp followed by a 2.5 mile run. (950 calories)

Saturday: 8 am (because I'm an adult now and I can never sleep in...annoying!) chest and bicep workout. It was too nice to stay in the gym so I headed outside for a run. I ran about a mile then found my favorite hill. And by favorite hill I mean this thing makes me want to die, but I know its good for me so I have learned to embrace her. Said hill is about a quarter of a mile long and steep! The picture doesn't even do it justice.

 
It is no secret that there is no better way to burn calories, get your heart rate up, and tone your butt and thighs simultaneously than when you run hills. And because I'm a gluten for punishment and was feeling like a badass at the moment I decided to run this hill 5 times. Yep, FIVE TIMES, guys.

 
My heart rate got as high as 187 at the top of the hill the 5th time, but I was too busy gasping for air/slightly dying that by the time I recovered a little bit to take a picture, by heart rate had already fallen a bit. 

The secret to hills (especially long ones like this one) is to stagger your intensity. I like to jog the first third of the hill, run the second third of the hill, sprint the top third of the hill, then walk for about 30-45 seconds at the top before jogging back down the hill. We called this fartlicking in cross country, and it's a good time!

I then ran another 2.5 miles.

Then mowed my lawn for an hour as a cool down.

Most would not consider mowing their lawn as a workout, however, most have a self propelled push mower. Me? Absolutely not. That would be too easy! :)

Result? 2279 calories.

 
#killedit.
 
You may be wondering why I spend so much time at the gym or why I make myself run up hills until I almost can't breathe.
 
Simply put: I love the way exercise makes me feel. I feel tighter, toned, muscular and like I could take on the world. The soreness afterwards makes me feel like I accomplished something great. It makes me happy. And the best part about exercise? I get to eat more than I would if I didn't workout. Because I really, really like food. More specifically? Good food. Like really good food. And really really good food is worth busting your ass for!!!!!
 
And on that note: I can't wait to tell you about one of my most favorite desserts. Which I indeed made and had on Saturday afternoon! :)
 
I'll give you a hint: it involved butter and sugar and more butter and a little more sugar and maybe a little rhubarb, too! YUM!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment