Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Compliments & Perspective

I've met this woman once in my life.

Three years ago I showed up at her front door trying to sell her and her husband some money. 

She invited me in her house, we talked about her family and the farm operation they have built, and somewhere in between I discovered my elementary school principal was her brother.

It's SUCH a small world. Seriously. I have stories for days.

A couple hours later, I left her house and went on my merry way, not having sold her or her husband anything, but feeling like I had an excellent start (these things take time, much to my dismay.)

I've tried to get together with them a few times since with no luck.

Honestly, I had almost given up on them.

Until the other day.

I got a phone call, the receptionist told me who it was, and my heart skipped a beat with excitement.

I get really passionate about these things; relationships are important to me.

It was the woman whose front door I knocked on and learned her brother was my elementary school principal.

I answered the phone with a big smile on my face.

She said her name followed by, "Remember me?"

Of course I did!!!

Her and her husband were looking at expanding their farm operation, so I talked through a few things with them, sent them some follow up information and finished with, "Let me know if I can do anything else for you!"

Fast forward to today, her and her husband came in to meet with me in my office.

We met for about an hour to discuss financing options as well as get re-acquainted with one another.

Then it was time to say goodbye.

We all got up from our chairs, I thanked them for coming to see me and shook their hands, told them to stay warm, and to have a great afternoon.

Before they left my office, she asked me how long I had been working as a loan officer.

I told her about 3 years.

She asked me if I liked my job.

I quickly replied that I love my job; mostly because I get to come to work and serve great people, like her and her husband.

And then something magical happened. 

She says to me, "You're good Michelle. You're real good."

I had to control my arms from flailing up in the air and wrapping them around her for saying something so ridiculously nice!

Because they would have, don't you doubt it for a second.

You see, I had just lost a really big deal to a competitor yesterday.

To say I was bummed would be an understatement.

Because this has been a reoccurring theme as of late.

And just like that, a woman who I barely know says six little words to me, and my entire perspective changed.

It made me start thinking about how I could change someones perspective with six little words, too.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I don't love when someone compliments me, because lets be real for a minute, who doesn't?

It's nice to know you're good at something, am I right?

But this all made me pose a question to myself: am I making a point of being the giver of a compliment that would change someones perspective on their current situation, too?

I honestly couldn't answer it.

I'd like to think I am I good at complimenting those around me.

But am I saying things that really count?

Am I blessing other people with the words that come out of my mouth every day?

Are my words changing the perspectives of those around me for the better?

Or are my words making their perspectives look even darker?

Words are powerful things.

I want to make mine count.

I want my words to bring brightness to those around me, and change their perspectives for the better.

Who knew six words could serve as such a vital reminder, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment