Tuesday, April 2, 2013

10 Reasons To Thank A Farmer

I am a terrible person and forgot to salute farmers during Ag Week.

I was so busy driving around shaking every farmers hand I saw to say thank you that I forgot to blog about these very special people.

Just kidding. I was just busy serving said farmers. But I did manage to say thank you to quite a few of them for doin' what they do.

Because this is my blog and I do what I want, here is my "Dave Letterman Top 10 List" of reasons why we all should take time to thank farmers for all they do.


Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Thank A Farmer

10. American's spend only 10% of their income on food. This is the lowest percentage of any country.

9. The world's population will grow from 7 billion to 9 billion by 2050. Farmers will need to DOUBLE food production to keep pace.


8. Only 210,000 full time U.S. Farmers produce 80% of our food and fiber.

7. Most farms are family owned enterprises. These families brave exceptional risk and tight margins year after year to produce our world's food supply.


6. For every $1 spent on food, farmers receive less than 12 cents for the raw products they produced.

5. The average U.S. farmer feeds 155 people.


4. U.S. farmers produce about 40% of the world's corn.

3. Agriculture employs more than 24 million Americans.


2. Farmers endure drought, heat, rain, wind, snow, hail and tornados to bring food to America's tables.

And the number one reason why you, YES YOU, should thank a farmer....

American's enjoy a food supply that is abundant, affordable and among the world's safest. So thank a farmer!

Thank you for all you do, farmers!

No comments:

Post a Comment