- 1 pound ground beef (96% lean)
- 1 medium yellow, green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) regular or reduced-sodium spicy 100% vegetable juice
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole or honey wheat hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls, split
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef, bell pepper and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef up into 3/4 inch crumbles and stirring occassionally. *Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- Stir in vegetable juice, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 7 to 9 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Evenly place beef mixture on bottom half of each bun; close sandwiches.
Recpie courtesy of beefitswhatsfordinner.com